Had some leftover prawns, nicely cleaned and deveined, sitting in my freezer for more than a week. Gave it a nice marination and cooked with a medium batter coating . Served with my normal dal chowl as part of my Sunday lunch. Can be served as a snacks too.
- Prawns – a small bowl, cleaned, shelled and deveined.
- Onion – 2 medium, chopped finey
- Ginger paste – a heaped tsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Salt, turmeric
- Chopped Green chilli- as per taste, we liked it hot
- Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – a pinch ( optional)
- Gram flour – 2 tbsp
- Rice flour – 2 tbsp
- Kalo jire/nigella seeds – a pinvh
- White oil for frying
Matinate the prawns with finely chopped onion, chopped green chilli, ginger garlic paste , salt, turmeric and cumin powder. Add the sugar too, if using.
In a bowl, take the gram flour and rice flour along with a pinch of salt and turmeric. Add water to Make a medium consistency batter and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Add the kalonji seeds too.
Heat oil in a pan. Take 1 or 2 marinated prawns with masala and dip into thr batter. Place carefully into the hot oil. Fry till golden brown.
Serve hot as a side.