- Chital Peti/Fatty belly portion of fish – 6
- Onion – 2, make a paste
- Green chilli paste – 1 tsp
- Ginger Paste – 1 tbsp
- Tomato – 1 big, make a paste
- Salt, Turmeric, cumin powder, kashmiri chilli powder, sugar
- Mustard oil
- Coriander leaves – chopped, for garnishing
- Panchforon / Bengali five spice
Marinate the fish with salt and turmeric. Heat mustard oil in a pan and fry them till golden brown. Keep aside.
Add panchforon or Bengali whole spice in the same oil. Let it splutter.
Then add the onion and green chilli paste and fry well with a pinch of salt and sugar.Next add the ginger paste and fry well. I have added a small spoonful of garlic paste too.
Next add all the powdered masala. Add a splash of water and fry the masalas well.
Next add the tomato paste and fry till oil comes out of the masala.
Add a cup of hot water and once it starts boiling, add the fried fish.
Cook over low heat with the lid on till the fishes are cooked through.
When the gravy reaches the desired consistency, adust the seasoing and remove from heat. Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and keep covered.
Serve hot with plain rice.